BreakDown STL educates, equips and empowers teens to make positive life choices regarding relationships, sex, alcohol, drugs, bullying, self-harm and suicide by providing culturally relevant preventative health education.
• Belief in the unlimited potential of young people
• Commitment to meet young people where they are to inspire personal growth and accountability
• Passion for truth, integrity and excellence in all that we do
• Conviction in the impact of preventative health education
• Respect for the diverse backgrounds of all individuals
• Value in the power of partnership and collaboration
The BreakDown vision was conceived by Aimee Dobbins and born in Tuscon, Arizona. After seeing the original team perform in 2006, Jenna Imergoot, BreakDown STL Founder and President, knew this was a program that she wanted to bring to the students in her hometown of St. Louis, Missouri. She immediately began sharing her vision, securing donors and building her team. In January of 2007, the first BreakDown STL presentation was held at Lafayette High School in Wildwood, Missouri. The original concept has grown tremendously over the years to stay relevant with the current youth culture trends, as well as to stay up to date with medical facts and statistics. As a result, the program remains in high demand. A follow up program, OffStage was launched at Hillsboro High School in February, 2012 with much success. BreakDown STL is a 501(c) 3 not-for-profit organization that is independently funded and operated. BreakDown STL is honored to be affiliated with the BreakDown teams across the nation and around the globe.
2012 Program Highlights
• 52,000+ Students reached with our program
• 11,641 Students reached in 2012 alone
• 808 More students reached than in 2011
• 136 Outreach hours partnering with organizations
• 34 Teens on BreakDown STL mentored and trained to be positive peer role models
• 1 Person needed to make a difference